Nova Scotia Health Mental Health and Addictions eMental Health and Addiction Supports
Nova Scotia Health’s Mental Health and Addictions Program (MHAP), has free e-Mental Health and Addictions tools available to all Nova Scotians including health care workers and physicians. These tools include:
- Mindwell U - free online support that takes just five minutes a day, and can be accessed anywhere and on any device. This service is available in English and French.
- Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) – free and private online resource that includes interactive activities and videos for people having challenges with their mental health. This service is available in English and French.
- Gambling Support Network – online support for those experiencing gambling problems and/or harms.
- Wellness Together Canada – mental health and substance abuse support that contains free online resources, tools, apps and connections to trained volunteers and qualified mental health professionals when needed.
- Togetherall – free and safe online peer-to-peer mental health community that empowers individuals to anonymously seek and provide support 24/7. It is available to all youth and young adults aged 16-29, providing an inclusive and supportive place to connect with others with real lived experience with common mental health concerns. To sign up go to togetherall.com and use your Nova Scotia postal code to register.
For more online tools, and how to register, visit MHAhelpNS.ca/tools.
Medical Affairs Physician Leadership Coaching Support
Are you struggling to lead yourself or your team(s) well during this pandemic? Take advantage of 30 or 60-minute focused, one-to-one virtual executive coaching sessions for formal physician leaders only.
Email Lorie Campbell to book a time for this free service, provided by NSHA Medical Affairs Leadership Development.
Staying Well in Stressful Times Recorded Webinar Series
We are living in extraordinary, stressful times. Dr. Jackie Kinley, Director of the Nova Scotia Health Mental Health Day Treatment Program (MHDTP), offers three free webinars that explore healthy and adaptive ways to reduce stress, deal with emotions and remain connected in our personal and work place relationships. Click on the session title you're interested in to tune in:
- Staying well through stressful times: Recognizing and managing stress. Explore what individuals are commonly experiencing as a result of the stress associated with COVID 19 and recent tragedies.
- Dealing with emotions through stressful times: Fear, anger and loss. Explore the range of emotions individuals experience in times of rapid change and loss. This session provides key insights and practical tips and strategies for staying well.
- Working together through stressful times: Staying connected in relationships.Explore some of the common patterns and behaviours that arise when relationships are under stress.
Fountain of Health's Thrive MD Program
Thrive MD Physician Wellness Program offers physician wellbeing courses. Begin with the Foundation Series, then explore options including Mindfulness Practice Course, A to Zzzs of Better Sleep and more.
Doctors Nova Scotia Professional Support Program
CMA Physician Wellness Hub
The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) has launched the CMA Physician Wellness Hub, a searchable collection of nearly 300 resources, tools and studies on topics such as physician burnout, depression, peer support and organizational wellness. It’s also a place for physicians, residents and medical students to connect with colleagues interested in wellness.
COVID Resources for Physicians
- A clinician's guide: managing COVID-19 stress and anxiety | Joule (A CMA Company)
- Physician Wellness during COVID-19* | Well Doc Alberta
- Three steps to coping with anything (including COVID-19)* | Video by Dr. Bob Maunder and Dr. Jon Hunter
- Resilience in the Era of Sustainable Physicians | McMaster University
- Free psychological services for front-line health service providers | Canadian Psychological Association
- COVID-19 Women Physicians’ Emotional Well-Being* | Private Facebook Group
- Free 30-minute mindfulness sessions for health care providers (via Zoom) | Pause4Providers
CMPA Physician Wellness Directory
The CMPA Physician Wellness Directory offers a series of resources and articles on physician wellness that take on a range of topics from dealing with conflict to addressing complaints and legal issues. View the directory here.