The Research, Innovation and Discovery team is partnering with The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program to create an evidence-based Proof of Concept (PoC) to improve access to care for Nova Scotians living with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). This will consist of:
- Building capacity within community-based spirometry testing facilities (e.g., staffing and utilization of Portable Spirometry Booths), enhancing access to care, and earlier identification of COPD
- A new offering to support Nova Scotians with mild-to-moderate COPD. The PoC will leverage the learnings and successes of INSPIRED and with the support of community Respirology will drive access to preventative, proactive care
The PoC will be implemented in the Eastern Shore community. Feedback will be gathered to inform future innovation and expansion.
Expected benefits of the PoC include:
- Reduced pulmonary function test wait times
- Earlier identification of COPD patients
- Improved health system navigation
- Improved access to care
- Support for Primary Health Care (PHC)
The PoC will create a pathway for mild-to-moderate COPD patients, consisting of the following:
- Central referral, triage, and increased capacity for community-based spirometry testing
- Navigation support to existing programs (e.g., smoking cessation)
- Access to COPD & Advance Care Planning Education and support via the INSPIRED team
- Access to centralized, online self-management resources
- Access to personalized COPD Action Plans via INSPIRED and Primary Care
How Does This Affect PHC Providers?
- The referral process for PFT testing does not change as a result of the program
- Spirometry has resumed at the Tri-Facilities; please complete the Spirometry Referral Form (found at the top of the page)
- Primary health care providers can follow the same referral process for COPD patients that meet INSPIRED criteria. For Eastern Shore, mild-to-moderate patients are now included in the criteria and are eligible for the PoC initiative.
- Feel free to contact the PoC Coordinator at 902-476-1584 with any questions