At the end of their leader onboarding journey, the physician leader should be able to confidently answer YES! to the respective question:
- Assuming operational leadership: Do I have a complete picture of Nova Scotia Health as an entity?
- Taking charge of the team: Do I demonstrate an awareness of important operational issues, swiftly solve urgent problems, identify and achieve quick wins?
- Aligning with stakeholders: How do/can I gain the support of people of whom I have no direct authority?
- Engaging with the culture: Do I understand the values, norms and guiding assumptions?
- Defining strategic intent: Have I begun to formulate and share my own strategic plans?
We take an extensive ‘deep dive’ into each of these integration areas; in fact, we explore them through 31 knowledge and skill areas the physician leader works through based on the results from their gap analysis exercise completed three times throughout the year. When combined with the LEADS framework, this will build physician leader capacity and longevity with Nova Scotia Health.