Nova Scotians who are seeking information about MAID can discuss this with their primary care provider or a specialist. They may also contact the Nova Scotia Health MAID Access and Resource Team, toll free at 1-833-903-6243, or 902-491-5892 within the Halifax region. The Office email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org. Voicemail and email messages will receive a reply within 3-5 days.
In order to be eligible for medical assistance in dying, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:
- be eligible for health services funded by the federal government, or a province or territory (or during the applicable minimum period of residence or waiting period for eligibility)
- generally, visitors to Canada are not eligible for medical assistance in dying
- be at least 18 years old and mentally competent. This means being capable of making health care decisions for yourself.
- have a grievous and irremediable medical condition
- make a voluntary request for MAID that is not the result of outside pressure or influence
- give informed consent to receive MAID
Only persons who meet ALL of the above criteria are eligible to be assessed for MAID.