Dr. Ryan Sommers | MD, CCFP, FRCPC (PHPM)
Senior Regional Medical Officer of Health and Senior
Medical Director Public Health, Nova Scotia Health
Home Base: Colchester East Hants Health
Centre (CEHHC) in Truro
What roles have you served in Public Health/Nova Scotia Health?
- Family physician (2008 - Current)
- Regional Medical Officer of Health, Northern Zone (2013 – 2022)
- Medical Site Lead, Colchester East Hants Health Centre (2016 – 2020)
- Interim Zone Medical Executive Director, Northern Zone, (2019 – 2020)
- Senior Regional Medical Officer of Health and Senior Medical Director Public Health, Nova Scotia Health Authority (2022 – Current)
What should people know about you and your role?
It’s a new position that will support both Nova Scotia Health Public Health and Department of Health and Wellness Public Health.
- Co-leadership with Senior Director of Public Health, we will utilize a stewardship approach to enable systemwide engagement in planning and management across the province with a focus on effectiveness, safety and continuous quality improvement.
- Key Responsibilities: Physician leadership to Nova Scotia Health Public Health (advice, analysis, strategic direction), works with VP medicine, member of the Nova Scotia Health medical advisory committee.
What is your hope/vision for the next year in Public Health?
- In the next twelve months, my number one goal is to help create our plan for recovery. This includes assessment and review of the numerous lessons we’ve learned from the pandemic and looking to how best we can move forward.
- It will also be a priority for me to demonstrate how the new co-leadership model can advance our work.
How do you practice Work Life Balance?
- I try to run a few times a week on my treadmill
- I attempt to play golf
- Spending lots of time with my kids
- Camping (we just bought a 30 ft used tent trailer)
- Journal and reading stoic philosophy
What is a fun fact about you?
I generally enjoy laughing at myself, so to give you all a good laugh, I have provided some links!
- As part of a group project for my grade 11 economics class – I lost a cow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJU_68HwsCU
- As you can see I am not a very good lip syncer or actor…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OveOr8eVUls